The City of Cape Town is offering a R100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for the attacks on police officers and municipal employees.
Two off-duty police constables were shot at traffic lights in Khayelitsha on Friday while travelling in a marked vehicle, prompting the offer of a reward.
JP Smith, a member of the city’s mayoral committee for safety and security, said authorities were aware of claims that people in the taxi industry were collecting funds to hire “hitmen” to target police officers and other law enforcement employees.
“It is with regret that such an obvious assassination has been added.”
Captain FC van Wyk, spokesperson for the SAPS, said a 72-hour activation plan had been implemented to ensure the arrest of the gunmen who attacked the police constables, aged 29 and 30, on Friday night.
“The two [officers] were shot at while stopped at a traffic light in the marked vehicle.” “They’re both being treated in the hospital for injuries,” Van Wyk said.
Police have since asked Khayelitsha residents to assist them in locating the perpetrators.
Van Wyk added that Khayelitsha police had opened two attempted murder cases.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn to get the latest updates from Cape Town Tribune